Monday 26 March 2012

You may find it funny, I don't



It is quite evident that no two human beings are identical. By identical I mean in terms of personality traits. They can never be, no matter how alike their lives and circumstances are. For that matter even twins, identical twins brought up exactly alike will still share different experiences. That is the beauty of life, in its bizarre, yet interesting randomness.





For the same reason, humor is not universal. While some type of humor may appeal to a large portion of the masses, there will still be a certain percentage that didn’t find it funny. It may be bizarre to you and me but that’s just the way the ball rolls.
When I started to watch this show called Arrested Development, I was laughing my pants off.  It was a very good show (according to me). I searched for it online and understood that the show has had only 3 seasons (for reasons I don’t know why).  




Maybe for the same reason most of today’s shows like Big Bang Theory, How I met your mother etc just aren’t funny for me. I enjoy watching them no doubts, but do I laugh my pants off. No. It’s just interesting to watch. I watch it mainly to see if Ted finally reveals the f$#$#in mother or whether Leonard will land a girl like Penny. 

There is one show which I do laugh my pants off and that is Modern Family. Extremely funny without surprisingly being offensive (yes you South park/family Guy et al). Jesse Ferfuson and Eric Stonestreet rock as the gay couple who adopted an asian baby.



That is when I came to the realization that what I may think is humorous; many people may think it boring. It is an interesting revelation and one for introspection.
Maybe the jokes I dish out aren’t all that funny. Maybe they shouldn’t be called jokes. Maybe they are just plain boring. But my friends laugh at it with me or at me. Who knows?

Maybe the closest to what can be called as universally appealing humor on the telly was the great show called Mr. Bean. Until, now I haven’t met a single person, who has watched the show and not laughed (thought I was going to say laugh my pants off didn’t you! Ha!.. wait ..damn). It’s a show that has a bare minimum of spoken words relying mainly on gestures and slapstick. The only show that has come the closest, to achieving the title of being the Universally Humorous Champion of the World.








Mr. Rowan Atkinson take a bow.



No comments:

Post a Comment