Friday 20 April 2012

Running with a Redbull


The other day, I had an exhaustive day at work. All I wanted to do after getting home was to crash. I was so tired. I really had no intention of going for my usual jog in the evening.  It is at this time, I remembered that I had a can of redbull in the refrigerator
As I sipped on it, I couldn’t help but wonder how this awful medicine like drink had become so popular with the masses. It has this sweet, sour mix that is reminiscent of the cough syrups I used to have while growing up. But I had one. At first it seemed like any other drink, it quenched my thirst. Everything remained the same. There was no change of any kind.

I walked to the park where I normally do my evening jogawalk as I like to call it. It is a combination of jogging and walking. Normally, it takes me 5 rounds of the oval shaped park to start gasping.  But today, even after my usual 3 rounds of warming up, I didn’t feel tired. Not in the least bit. It’s not just tiredness. I was not even out of breath. I felt that I could do 10 rounds of the park in one go. Calmness descended upon me. Calmness compounded with a steady and powerful infusion of limitless energy. I felt I could go on forever. I felt detached. An out of world experience. I could feel the pain increasing but at the same time, energy flowing in. relentless, never ending. I felt sorry for the people not on this fantastic drink. Almost invincible. 

 But after 10 rounds of the park, I could feel a tinge of pain shoot up through my legs. I willfully stopped myself. I had to, my body was in pain yet I could still feel the energy. Yes it was beautiful, but inside I knew it was scary.Like a supernova explosion.

After returning I did some research on whether it was harmful to my body to have a red bull before working out. As with most products, there were reports both in favour and against it. But any product that artificially enhances you is bad for your body. It is what I believe. Although, I felt like god, it is a bad idea to drink a red bull before a work out.

No comments:

Post a Comment